01 November 2011

Halloween Day Goofy





We were a good 50 minutes early for Bear's endocrinology follow-up on Monday afternoon, so we killed some time goofing off in the car while the littlest finished his snooze. See his reflection in the mirror? It's my version of a group shot these days.







We've decorated these ghosts the last few years right before Halloween. It's the one exception I make to my no-store-bought-cookie rule, because it's fast and easy and loads of fun for the littles. They can really take charge on this one.


This year Bleu went nutty with the ghost eyes, and we had so much extra melted white Ghirardelli that we started dipping pretzels for Grandma to bring home to Grandpa. {But the next day we were so consumed with having no heat or electricity that we forgot to pack them up for her.} Buby and Bleu are allowed one a day leading up to Halloween, and then we dump the rest.








I mentioned I'm not a huge fan of Halloween. I wish I felt differently, but it's never been on my Top 5 holiday list, even as a kid. We are all about dress-up bins and make-believe the rest of the year, but Halloween costumes rarely impress.


Things I don't particularly like about the day: Candy {our littles don't hoard junk food, even on October 31}; sending my three and six year old up to a stranger's door to collect the candy they can't have; scary movies; haunted houses; creepy music; carving pumpkins; forced couples costumes; teeny boppers dressed like prostitutes {I'm shocked each year at how many of these I see}; older teens and twenty somethings knocking on my door after 8pm for free candy. Ah. Told you... I'm like the grinch who stole Halloween.


I do try to be a good sport for the kids though and have implemented some traditions to which we look very forward: I let the kiddos choose or craft their own age-appropriate costumes, decorate a Halloween tree, hang artwork, read Halloween-themed picture books, and trick-or-treat for the experience. This year they are going TWICE, so I figure I get bonus points no? They trade in their bags {in their entirety} for something way way better from Tom and I. And they love it!


My friend Maria definitely helped get me into the spirit this year! She sent a surprise October-themed box right to our house. It was jam-packed with books and ornaments and caplets you drop into water and watch grow into cool Halloween shapes. Buby and Bleu went wild over every item in the box. My fave was the fuzzy orange socks {above}. I wear 'em and wash 'em and wear 'em again. I aspire to be half as thoughtful as my sweet friend Maria someday. She's too good to me.







And here are some more goofy car shots for your viewing pleasure. My kiddos are experts at killing time. I will post some costume shots next.




10.31.11


1 comment:

Grandma DJ said...

Beautiful babes! Love you forever