01 April 2014

The Goldfinch




Another reason I've seemingly neglected this little corner of mine. I joined an active book club last year, at the insistence of my friend Lin. It's been a lovely journey -- meeting new people and coming back to fiction after so many years of being drawn (exclusively?) to nonfiction. Surprisingly I've become attached to characters in every novel we've read thus far. Last week I threw myself into Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. My bookmark -- an oil pastel cutout of my five year old's hands -- currently rests on page 453. I usually read a few pages over breakfast and more when the kiddos go down to sleep. I read while Tom finishes up his work or watches the tournament. I read during commercial breaks of The Blacklist and under an itty bitty book lamp into the wee hours.


Throughout the day I wonder if/how Theo will return the painting? Will he ever be able to rest easy? Is there a happy ending in here? I carefully avoid all reviews and discussions (oh so many!!) so as not to spoil the story for myself. I like to go into these things blind, knowing curiosity is my best shot at getting through 771 pages of anything. Are you reading anything so good you just can't put it down?

No comments: