24 May 2013

VT: The Inn at Ormsby Hill



I'm so behind on blogging that I don't know where to start. I guess I'll jump right in with our mini getaway this week. We left last Sunday and returned Wednesday. 


It was my first time really being away from the children. (My Sweets and I had three separate overnights this past year for "fancy" events we attended, but nothing longer than one night!) So I thought it best to keep this trip to four days and not push our luck with passports, connecting flights, etc. Tom tried to tempt me with faraway lands, but I wanted to see how the kids would fare in our absence. Particularly the younger two. And to be honest, how I would do being away from them.




After weeks of indecision, Tom suggested Vermont at the last minute and I thought it sounded perfect! We've been to the Green Mountain state several times before (years ago) and have always loved it. Tom found The Inn at Ormsby Hill online, and it could not have been a sweeter place for us. Romance and relaxation... just three hours from home. 


 


Yoshio and Diane are the innkeepers. They were totally awesome. Each of the 10 guest rooms is decorated differently -- I chose the Anne Eliza room because I'm partial to blue and white toile. Super feminine! Check out the fascinating history of the house.
   




We had our own key to the inn and a back stairway option leading directly to our part of the second floor. It felt very private, which is always a concern of mine at small inns. In fact, the only time we saw other guests was at breakfast. Otherwise we came and went as we pleased. There was always music on, coffee available, and special treats in the dining room. Fresh-baked cookies, mini blueberry muffins, nuts. I appreciated that.
  




A full breakfast was served at 9am. My faves: Yoshio's still-warm Japanese milk bread, local maple-cinnamon butter, fresh berries, and the organic French Roast Peruvian coffee from Mocha Joe's in Brattleboro, VT. Best. Coffee. Ever.

 

 




Interesting art and spectacular views.

 




Monday night Tom and I sat on the back porch under the moonlight with a bottle of Moët & Chandon. Then I got chilly and ran upstairs to flick on the fireplace and start a hot bubble bath. It sounds awfully cheesey, but it was absolutely wonderful. We'd spent the day horseback and motorycle riding through the mountains, so I needed a good soak.

No comments: