26 February 2013

Nap Routine



 
Shortly after lunch my littlest sits on the potty one last time, walks upstairs, and climbs into his bed for nap. I squeeze in next to him, read two George books aloud, sing a silly Cecily G. song (he giggles!), and then rub his back for a minute or two while he winds down from our busy morning. 


After rubbing his back I turn over and "rest" for 15-20 minutes. This signals for him to go to sleep. (If ever there is a good time for me to text a photo, read the NY Times or check in on social media from my phone, this is it... while tucked under a rainbow quilt waiting for Bear to drift off.) As soon as he's asleep I tiptoe out of the room and fly downstairs to get important stuff done before he wakes. There's usually a lot to do. Nap ranges anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours. When I hear that first "Mommy!" through the baby monitor I dart upstairs to greet him and we go about the rest of our day. 


Ollie quite likes our midday routine and so do I. By 2:55pm we are on our way to the schoolhouse to pick up the other kiddos, and it can sometimes feel like c-r-a-z-y t-o-w-n here between the hours of 3-8pm. Nap time, however brief, helps both Ollie and I navigate the after-school storm with more patience and humor. Over the years I've had a few friends and family (firm believers in the cry-it-out method) say that my way takes too long and holds fewer guarantees. This is true. But I'm three kids in, and this is how I've done it each time.

No comments: