07 September 2011

Second Day of School





It's still pouring here in New York {will it ever stop?}, but these two walkers barely even noticed. I guess all the summer "rain hikes" we took have made them hardy. Plus, a foot of water is no match for Buby and Bleu's bright new wellies and polka dot 'brellas. They think they are way cool parading through the village.


The second day of school went well, as far as I can tell. Both littles entered with cheery dispositions at 8:30 and exited similarly content at 11:30 and 3. Bleu said she had a wonderful time but looked mentally drained after her three hours. It's a lot to take in. New place. New rules. New friends, many of whom were probably crying at drop-off. I was all set to celebrate our success when 30 feet into our walk Bleu turned all sassy on me. Yes, our girl has always been strong and insistent {we do love this about her}, but today was easily irritated, too.


While I made lunch at home, I heard her say "Stop it, Ollie, you are annoying me." It's so unlike her to be short with her baby brother. She's always the most tender with him. Plus, where did she pick up the word annoying? That was fast.


A moment later I asked, "So... did you run into Gavin at all today?" She answered, "No! You asked me that like seven times already!" First of all, I did not. Second of all, whoa! That's when I realized I had to back off on random small talk and just let her chill. My little girl needed more than a minute or two of detox before she was ready to dish about her big morning without me. She wasn't ready to reflect, because she was still processing. And thinking about the boy who knocked down her block castle.


Buby was the same way his first two years of easing into school. I remember the rides home were quiet and fragile, and it wasn't until hours later he was ready to fully unload. If I asked too quickly what he learned or did in school that day he would simply reply, "Nothing." So anyway, Bleu and I finished lunch and just cuddled under a blanket for a while {with Oliver}. She lightened up real fast after that. We played and bonded before we left to meet Buby, who could not wait to share his 3D paper creations and wax poetic about new guy friends Henry and Ben. Apparently they are the best part of 1st grade.


Library books were due so we made a quick stop there and by 4 pm Bleu was overtired again. It didn't help that Oliver cried on and off for several hours {teething!}, so I was busy comforting him while cooking dinner and keeping the peace. Bleu and Buby bickered here and there about the littlest things. The last four hours before bedtime felt L-O-N-G to me. My guess is too much excited school talk in our house, including fielding calls from family and friends. It can be consuming for a first timer. Right now Bleu is probably craving our normal, so tomorrow I will talk about anything BUT school with her. Unless she wants, of course. Then I'm all ears.


1 comment:

Grandma DJ said...

you guys are the greatest!! Can't believe how grown!! Love you forever