08 August 2011

Lake George Highlights {part I}





Hello there! We are just returning from a super relaxing/completely unplugged week in the Adirondacks. It was just what we needed. Every aspect of the vacation went smoothly, and we're already thinking of booking next year.



The children absolutely loved our lake house in the woods. Bleu crafted nonstop and played the best make-believe mama to her "Ryan." Buby launched paper airplanes and shoestring parachutes from the second story balcony. Bear grew two teeth and perfected his pull-to-stand routine. I indulged my sweet tooth, jumped off floating docks and beat everyone at late-night Foosball. Tom rode his motorcycle around lakes and through mountains. Billy surprised with a fun mini visit. My parents reveled in their 24/7 with the wee ones {minus a Elvis-themed date night in Lake George Village}.


We hung low; ventured out; leisurely hit every item on our bonus list {caves, rodeo, steamboat, mini golf, go karts, fort, water slides, fireworks}; and ate, played and slept well for eight days straight. I snapped photos until my camera battery died on day three {misplaced the charger a few weeks ago}. After that I resorted to my small point-and-shoot with awful quality. But it's about the memories, right?, so I'll share highlights over the next two days. I know my mom is anxious for a replay, regardless of crispness.


Here we go with part I. I'll be back to caption later tonight {after the premiere of Bachelor Pad?}, since we have a busy day planned and a 9-month well visit this afternoon.




We drove into town the first day to grocery shop, explore the marina and have lunch at Christie's.



Buby so wanted us to rent a private boat for two hours {the third hour is free!}, but I worried my littles would fry out there in the bright early afternoon sun. Next year.



We boarded the grand Mini Ha-Ha for a steamboat cruise and learned quite a bit about the exquisite homes, hotels and camps along the lake.



My Sweets so wanted to take Buby para sailing {doubles}, but the minimum age is 6. And p.s. Buby is afraid of heights. Bleu, on the other hand, is already counting down for summer 2014.



The water up north is crystal clear. Ideal for swimming. Not as great for fishing.




This was Ollie's last hike in the Bjorn. I've held off on the ErgoBaby I chose ions ago only because my bear loves to face out as opposed to in, but his recent growth spurt has put him over the Bjorn limit.





The Old Stone Bridge + Caves was an incredible one- or two-hour hike and totally doable for children.



We don't usually indulge in gift shops or souvenirs on trips, but between Grandpa and Daddy the older two scored big at the caves: natural magnets, crystals, a bag of gems and a shark tooth artifact.



So glad my parents could join, and so glad my mom listened about wearing sneakers.





We had three or four really great camp fires with this wood and the Duraflame logs we brought along.



Nobody loves a good waterfront baby swing like my Bleu. She was in heaven here.



Our cabin {actually a big cedar house full of modern amenities and Adirondack charm} was in a private lake community on Tripp Lake, 10 minutes north of Lake George Village. It was so serene.




My parents arrived the day after us, and Buby and Bleu were ready with a surprise/belated 60th birthday party for my dad. Dessert was a locally purchased Boston Cream cake that I lined with fresh strawberries.



Buby made my dad a picture book that opened on the left. On the back cover he wrote "Bi Gavin."



My favorite part of the trip was our unhurried mornings. We had two side-by-side coffee makers {ha!} and didn't usually walk out of the cabin until close to 11 a.m. each day.



At home we live on three full floors but have no real landings or balconies. I'm pretty sure Buby would say his fave part of the trip was flying his paper crafts through the second floor railings of the cabin. I can still hear the screachy giggles.


1 comment:

Grandma DJ said...

this is beautiful!! how many places can you reserve for next year!! love you forever