27 April 2011

Bleu's Butterflies





Today our baby girl turned 3. I'm having trouble even saying it. It doesn't seem real.

In addition to two shindigs
in her honor last week {my mom made dinner and baked red velvet cupcakes, and my mother-in-law surprised with an ice cream cake and party favors for all the grandbabes!}, Bleu hosted a butterfly-themed lunch at our house this afternoon. We wanted to mark the day with her nearest and dearest instead of having a big blow-out event over the weekend. Intimate suits Bleu best. She opted for girls only. Here are a few notes on the day.


THEME:
- A couple of months ago our daughter asked for a strawberry party, and then a raspberry party, and finally a butterfly party. We told her she could have any color/theme she wanted. I'm not quite sure how she landed on butterfly, though I suspect her big brother planted the seed during one of their unauthorized late-night chat fests. He fancies butterflies that one.

- Once I knew she wasn't wavering I kept my eye out for random butterfly decor at the craft shop, dollar store, Target and online. It turns out Spring and Easter are perfectly timed to our theme. I purchased several weeks ahead and then put everything out of sight/out of mind until close to midnight the night before. Oops.

- Flowers. When it's too early for fresh cut, I take advantage of the make-your-own-bouquet deal at our local market. Three bunches for $12. I always go monochromatic with no filler. BTW, nobody appreciates a set table more than Buby. It's sort of his thing. I tie grosgrain or satin ribbon around all the mason jars or vases. It's sort of my thing.









GUESTS:
- We kept the guest list short and sweet {number of guests = number of years you are turning guideline... I'm a fan}. Three girls plus Bleu. My Sweets took off from work {LOVE him for that!} and brought Bleu to her morning gymnastics class.


- Ella and Ava are our every Wednesday lunch mates, so they followed Bleu home after gym while I prepped like a FREAK with a baby strapped to my belly. So much to do, so little time. Grace arrived separately. Gilly and Natalie had a school trip to attend and could not join.
With siblings there were 7 kids and 5 adults at lunch. By all accounts it was a teeny tiny gathering, but it still felt BIG. I guess anything you accomplish when you have three little ones seems BIG.


MENU:

- Lunch was comfort foods. I found a new Alton Brown baked mac & cheese recipe online around 10 p.m. last night, and My Sweets kindly offered to make it as soon as I returned from the market. Yes, it was last minute. That's just how I roll these days. We put it in the fridge and baked it this morning. Not all the children liked the recipe, unfortunately, but I must say the Panko bread crumbs were delish! I'll never go back.

- Other edibles included steamed green/yellow beans and carrots, strawberries, blackberries, fresh salad {an organic mesclun and baby spinach mix tossed with Tom's freshly toasted almonds}, and a Tuscan loaf. We also had green apples and baby bananas out, per Bleu. Pretty simple.


PLAY:
- 15 red balloons flying to and fro. 4 butterfly wings ordered from Hearth Song. 1 bumble bee dress-up from Grandma M. Bamboo butterfly nets for all. Open playroom. Doll-sharing mayhem. I also had a bucket of butterfly-shaped chalk that never made it out to the driveway and a table full of fantastic paper crafts {3-D butterfly stickers, stamps, cards and stencils} that I never executed. Best laid plans, right?

- Toddlers can be a tidal wave of emotions. Some days parenting them is easy breezy, pure magic. Other days it's a delicate, exhausting balancing act... a tightrope walk on egg shells while holding your breath. I
f one tot in a room is having an "off" day {and they all do} it can easily cause a ripple effect. Today there were little girl tears lost over baby dolls, balloons and swings. 'Tis the season of our lives. An hour later all was forgotten.








ORNAMENTS:
- We typically decorate the potted tree for every birthday and holiday, but the children were still enjoying our Easter ornaments from the weekend. So I hung Bleu's favorite birthday ornaments from a 9-clothespin frame above the tree. {Grandma DJ still owes Bleu her #3 ornament... hint hint.}









CAKE:
- This is the Colossal Cupcake from Crumbs NYC. My Sweets picked it up Tuesday evening so that it would be fresh for Wednesday. A delicious vanilla-flavored treat for about 10 people. I added the butterfly picks and the #3 Spritz candle.

- Bleu had "Happy Birthday" sung to her three times this year. I think it was a bit overwhelming. Her instinct was to duck down below the table until the song was over. {Notice "Teeny Tiny Baby" tucked under her arm pit.} Then she invited her girlies to assist her in blowing out the candle.

P.S. Thank you to everyone for the lovely gifts and phone calls and texts. Aunt Mary... we opened your package today, and it was AWESOME. Bleu definitely feels the love.


1 comment:

Grandma DJ said...

happy birthday bleu girl!! your number 3 ornament is still at my house!! love you forever