18 February 2011

i heart





Oh my. Where did the week go? We've been so busy I don't think I opened the laptop once. Now we're on route to Family Land for a weekend of two baptisms and a birthday. My Sweets turns 36 on Sunday.


I have some time in the car now, so I'll re-post my random Valentine-y photos from the week. I know February 14 is a silly made-up holida
y, but still, we kind of LOVE it here. Especially the Bubster. And as with any other real or fake holiday, we make a point to decorate, craft, note-write and bake to the theme.


This year we officially celebrated Valentine's Day a few days in advance. My Sweets caught the early train home one night {to my surprise} and met us at our favorite restaurant right here in the village. There were twinkle lights, soft dinner conversations, desserts, and decaff caps. It felt quite romantic, even with three babes in tow.


Monday morning Buby and Bleu ran downstairs to some fun eye openers, including a whole lot of balloons
. Buby exchanged cards at school and received a red helium balloon from his tennis instructor. Helium balloons totally rock his world. Bleu had her play date with Ella. My Sweets caught the early train home... again. I picked up Thai after tennis and then made the kids a "super awesome" {their words} breakfast for dinner consisting of heart-shaped raspberry buckwheat pancakes and blueberry-banana-strawberry smoothies.







This felt "I Love You" sign came via mail from our cousin Debbie {Godmother to all three kiddos} last year, and it hangs in our kitchen.








Monday's lunch menu was simple and tied to the theme. I had to be smart about it, because I only had about 1/2 hour to prep for company after dropping Buby at school. I made heart-shaped sandwiches on whole wheat flat bread {a mix of cream cheese a
nd jelly, just raspberry jelly and pb & j}, heart-shaped watermelon slices, fresh salsa, red pepper strips, red grapes, and grape tomatoes.


For us moms I made fresh
bruschetta on wheat ciabetta bread, Santa Cruz pink lemonade, and a mixed greens salad with strawberries and almonds. Mostly organic, as usual.







I love to give and receive mini carnations. {Monochromatic. Tightly bunched. Leaves removed. No filler.} As long as you keep the stems trimmed and the water fresh, they can last weeks. There's something so charming about the itty bitty blossoms.


My friend Alana recently said how long-stemmed red roses were wasted on her. I totally agree. I've never fancied them. My all-time fave blooms are lavender lilacs still on the branch and blue hydrangeas.








Little friend Ella made Buby and Bleu two large tissue-paper hearts to hang in our kitchen windows. Year after year. We absolutely adore.







I'm no gourmet, but how can you go wrong with heart-shaped sandwiches?








My Sweets and I made these Valentine treasure chests for Bleu's best girlies Ava and Ella. Buby and Bleu have had theirs, but I made Ollie a matching box this year as well. It's my {genius?} solution to all the love notes, three-dimensional Valentines, and full-size greeting cards that come our way the month of Feb.



I pick up unpainted wooden boxes at Michael's, My Sweets uses a drummel to cut slits in the top, and I paint and glue on the hearts and initials. Easy as pie, and they don't wear or tear like a typical Valentine mailbox.








I'll admit I'm a sucker for tiny clothes pins from the craft store. Only $1.99 a pack.







For Buby's notes to his three teachers we used the scraps from his classmates' cards.








Buby was so happy to wear an old pink polo to school {and a love bug necklace, too!}, Bleu found a love bird tee she liked at Old Navy a few weeks back, and Ollie Bear sported a lion onesie made by an area artist and gifted by my friend Christine.







This year he reads and writes and spells with some guidance. Pretty groovy.







Homemade heart crayon from Buby's teacher. He's been using it nonstop.








Everyone in our house likes balloons. Except Jazzy.








Buby said he purposely made each of his classmates' Valentines different. He wanted each one to be "an original."


2 comments:

Grandma DJ said...

i love it!! HAPPY VANLENTINE'S DAY TO ALL MY LOVES!!! love you forever

Grandma DJ said...

welcome back to family land!! a great valentine itself!! love you forever