08 September 2008

Third Day




Of all the books we read this summer about going to school, this one was definitely Buby's fave. And mine. It's about a little boy on his first day. The illustrations are sweet and colorful. It reminds me of Buby's school. Anne Rockwell also has Welcome to Kindergarten, which is ours come summer 2010.


Buby's third day was exceptional, as far as I could tell. He ran into the classroom when he saw Miss Cathy and shouted "Bye Mom" without even a hug or kiss. Huh? Talk about a clean break. I'm so proud of him. He's more forthcoming with details now, which I love, so I already was looking forward to picking him up and just listening. I didn't want to drive home today, so Bleu and I walked around the craft store and then sat next door in the Starbucks lounge at Barnes + Noble for a bit. We read a magazine. It was nice. I thought about Buby every 3rd second, but I wasn't worried. Well, okay, maybe a little.


I drove back to the school 20 minutes early and nursed Bleu before going in. I peeked into the glass window and saw Buby sitting ~ legs crossed ~ in a circle for storytime. I sat outside on the stage {where they do morning music} and thought how much I liked this place. I've had my doubts, but this morning it felt right. When the big door opened Buby smiled and squeezed my leg and then ran ahead. Miss Cathy whispered "He's a good listener." Yugh! In the car I said, "So tell me about your new friends." He replied, "Not new friends Mom. Just my friends." Oh, excuse me. Three mornings + a picnic does an old friend make. Back home I was at the sink washing blueberries while Buby sat at the kitchen table eating lunch. And then this...


Me: So what else did you learn at preschool today?
B: I painted.
Me: Yeah? What'd you paint a picture of?
B: I painted you Mom. And it was sooo beautiful. Yes it was.

4 comments:

Grandma DJ said...

quite awesome!!! love you forever

Anonymous said...

i'm glad he is enjoying himself

Anonymous said...

It's awesome how well he's adjusted..and you were worried!!! We're glad he loves school..the best is yet to come!!

Maria Jordan MacKeigan said...

ah, I bet your heart melted!!!