06 June 2011

Weekend View




{updated with captions}


Weekends are a lot of things here, but they are never boring. Family time is precious, so Saturdays and Sundays become a random collection of mini adventures centered around the people, places and things we all love. In short, weekends ROCK. Luckily My Sweets and I enjoy most of the same, so giving our littles the experiences and traditions we want for them is easy peasy. Win win.


In summer the trick is carving out time in our festival/hiking/fishing/parade/road tripping schedule for the necessary house and garden chores that don't get done during the week. {My bad.} Fortunately Buby and Bleu like to help, and My Sweets is wonderfully patient and inclusive. If he's outside, they're outside. If I'm in with the baby I like to peek out the nursery window every so often and catch a glimpse of the magic. My Sweets has a way of turning the simplest chores into what I bet will be fun memories for the kids.


This past weekend was no different.


We fished every morning {and by "we" I mean the boys sneaking out before dawn} and ate well and met up with friends for an annual fete on the river. We swam and walked and rolled down steep grassy green hills to live music and a setting sun. We treated to ice cream. We hit a 6,000 books sale, where classic children's tomes were just 25 cents. Score! We picked the season's first strawberries. We stop by our fave horse museum and ran into some good friends and a very lovely blacksmith who gifted Buby a box of real dirty horse shoes. The weekend was all kinds of awesome, except...


Last night after bedtime stories and goodnight kisses My Sweets headed out to the garage to install a new part on his motorcycle while I made lunches and put away laundry. An hour later ~ when we should have been retiring to our cozy nest ~ we were driving to an Emergency Room with three sleeping beauties in tow. Apparently Tom initiated a tug-of-war with a jagged-edge pipe and lost. Not his finest McGuyver-ish moment. It left a very deep gash on his face along the jaw line. So deep I nearly fainted at the sight.


The docs cleaned and closed the wound and administered a fresh tetanus. We were back home by 1:30 this morning. Three cheers for Dermabond and the incredible healing powers of skin. My Sweets looks great, considering.


Here are a few photographs from the last two days. What would I do without my camera? The children really had a spectac time, and I'm glad I was there to share it with them. Hope your weekend went off without a hitch :-)





This horse museum is special to Buby. We visit often.



At the races. What do you think of those socks? Buby loves them.



Harness racing is such a pretty sport to spectate.






We unexpectedly ran into several friends, including Rachel and Ava.



No clue about the hands or Buby's protruding buttocks, but Buby and Grace were cheering wildly.






Buby and Bleu inspired a trio of teenage girls to start rolling, too.



Buby and his friend John clearly missed each other! It's been a while.



Following choppers and skipping rocks.



Beautiful day.



Spaghetti and meatballs, eggplant rollatini, penne a la vodka, etc.


No comments: