27 December 2010

Christmas Candids


Cousins Parker, Spencer and Buby.



Our trip "home" was short this year, but it was sweet. Worth every snowy mile. We arrived in town Friday evening just in time for Great Aunt Mary's annual Christmas Eve gathering. Her holiday house is always warm and festive. I pigged out on everything in sight and introduced Ollie Bear to the family.


We caught up with her and Uncle Bill, Grandpa J., Debbie and Jayson, Karen, Steve, Ronan and baby Riley, the Grygiels, Aunt Melissa, Uncle Mike, Sidney, Lily and Mason. {Sadly, several key people were missing, including: Crystal, Jason, Ryan and Jessica, Aunt Pat and Uncle Pete, Aunt Judy and Uncle Jim, Jennifer, Bill, Billy, and baby Brooke.}


Saturday morning we slept in a tiny bit, exchanged gifts with Grandma DJ, drove to my brother-in-law's house for round 2, and then to my parents' house for round 3. All tradition. We were there from 1 p.m. on and topped off the evening with my mom's insanely delicious cherry, peach and apple crumb pies. Yum. Her desserts rock my world.


Sunday we returned to my mom's for lunch with my brother Mark and his family... and then back to Grandma DJ's for her annual day-after shindig with the usual suspects plus
Debbie, Frank, Reagan, Harper, Tom G. We really missed Sarah and Jamie and ate way too many of Mel's chocolate-dipped marshmallow sticks.


Later I packed and My Sweets loaded, and we stood in awe of each other. I tell you we are slowly mastering the road tripping experience. Monday morning we put new tires on the car, met Grandpa J. for lunch, and headed south through some beautifully enormous snowflakes. The drive was just five hours {a record}, and all kiddos traveled well. When we pulled in front of our house around 8 p.m. we were greeted by five-foot-tall snowbanks.


The photos below are random and incomplete {I'm missing the first night}, but here's a snapshot of Christmas weekend 2010.




Cousins Lily and Bleu playing dolls; Ollie in the same Christmas jumper Buby wore five years ago; the turtle blankie is a Grandma DJ original; our magician loves his new costume {thanks, Debbie!}.





Ginormous muffins are no match for our Bleu; nephew Mason always gives me this suspicious stare. He hasn't quite warmed up to us yet.





Grandpa J. and his youngest; my niece Sidney shares a moment with her Gr. Grygiel; cousin Reagan adorable in her new specs; my bro and dad.




My Sweets in Buby's bow tie; Dad elated as the kids open; cousin Harper's angel face.




Ollie rests in Grandma DJ's arms; Buby in Christmas jams; Bleu licks her first candy cane.




Every time my mom holds Ollie Bear he smiles. Like a boy in love.





My niece Gracie, nephews Spence and Parker and older brother Mark.




Bleu puts on her silly; Parker hides under the dining table during a game of chase.


1 comment:

Grandma DJ said...

great candids!! beautiful family!!love you forever