19 February 2010

Potty Girl


No modesty in Grandma's kitchen.





At 21 months Bleu is almost completely potty trained. And if she had it her way, she would've been several months ago. I definitely slowed the process due to all of our holiday travels and the general belief that diapers are easier than roadside emergencies and conflicting messages about when and when not to go. She's young yet.


But Bleu wouldn't let this last trip derail her big girlness one bit. We brought the new travel potty, and she planted herself on it at every turn without a single reminder from me. I just set it up and she did her thing.


That's pretty much what we've done at home. Very lassez-faire. There are potties conveniently placed throughout, and she just uses them as she sees fit. We have two Baby Bjorn standalones {one on the first floor and one on the third}, two child-size toilet seats {on the second and third floors}, and now the travel potty you see above, which I keep in the car. She likes all three designs and shows no real preference.


I remember Buby was eager to potty train, too, but it was a more gradual process with him. I never had a "plan" this time around, except to make it a pleasant experience. I know if she felt pressure she'd run the other way. I never used rewards, unless you count "good job" hugs from the big bro. I never set a clock.


She just loves stripping down to nakie and seeing how much she can fill that bowl. Having a four year old to mimic helps, too. During our bedtime routine she drags the little red potty down the hall and into the bathroom next to Buby, and they do their deeds side-by-side while telling knock-knock jokes. I assure you... that is some kind of hilarious.


Bleu chooses cotton undies over pull-up training diapers. But if she has to go and there is no toilet available, she'll eventually give in. So I must insist on pull-ups at bedtime and anytime we're in the car. Which, unfortunately, is often.


But we're getting there. She is in her own time, and it's cool to watch.



1 comment:

Maria Jordan MacKeigan said...

That is pretty impressive, how wonderful!