12 November 2009

Book Week: New Baby






Early in my second pregnancy I happened upon this petite hardcover in a charming baby boutique. I stood still for probably 10 minutes studying every page. My Sweets walked up to me and asked, "What's that?" I had to have it. The little blond boy in Jeanne Ashbe's What's Inside reminded me of our almost two-year-old Buby, who was very into flap books. Come to think, he still is. It's the surprise element, I guess. In the end the boy gets a baby sister.


There would be many other new-sibling books during my second pregnancy. Cousins Sid + Lily sent Buby a copy of The Berenstain Bears' New Baby, which we read probably 500 times. In the end the boy gets a baby sister. Cousins Spencer, Grace and Parker sent Buby a copy of Mercer Mayer's The New Baby, which we read probably as much. In the end the boy gets a baby sister. Perfect.


But still, I'm partial to What's Inside. I'll always keep this book as a reminder of that time in our lives. All those months we anticipated our Bleu. It's the surprise element, I guess.




No comments: