02 January 2009

Ornaments






For the third year Buby has worked on ornaments for family + friends. He does it a little each day over the course of December. I can see the pride he feels when he creates something for someone and then gives it away. And of course I love to see the process.


One of this year's projects was inspired by my friend Erika. We were at her house for a play date one day when I spotted a handful of stunning yellow + orange ornaments on her dining room table. I lusted over the vivid hues, and she said she'd just made them with her daughter. I was impressed. She promised it was something a 3 year old could do with little help.


The following week we snagged a dozen clear glass ornaments on clearance at Michaels. Buby's art studio is always stocked with paint and brushes, so back at home I simply lined up a ton of paint bottles and carefully took out the tops of each ornament and set them aside. Buby assigned one, two or three colors to each ball ~ often mixing acrylic with glitter glue.


I held the ornament for him while he poured the paint in. Then he put the ornament inside a Ziploc sandwich bag {to prevent splatter and possible injury if the glass happened to shatter}, plugged the hole with his finger just in case, and shook as vigorously and gently as he could. Buby was amazed with the results and so was I. Very elegant. We left them to dry for a few days, wrote 2008 on some with puffy white fabric paint, and cut pretty ribbon for all to hang.







I liked them so much I kept three for our own tree. Buby also painted porcelain snowflakes for his teachers and a red + yellow snowman for my parents with "BUBY" in red glitter stickers across the front. That was my favorite ornament of all!







See the mostly clear one above with 4 white stripes? I saved that one to encapsulate a teeny love note for My Sweets every Christmas Eve. From me. That'll be fun.


4 comments:

allison said...

What a great idea! Erika always has good things going on. These ornaments are beautiful. I like your idea about leaving a note for Tom. Cute.

Maria Jordan MacKeigan said...

Wow, that is such a grand idea!!! I love it, for the annual ornament exchange that would be such a fun thing to do!!! Great ideas!

Anonymous said...

We love our Buby ornament and will display it proudly every year. What a nice visit we had this year - I have to say I think this was the BEST Christmas we ever had! It was wonderful spending the whole day with all of our kids and grandkids - thank you for everything! We love you all!

Jen said...

Love the ornaments...ours is all safely packed away...finally! Thanks, Buby!

Cannot believe how big these two are getting! It was great to see all of you for Christmas....wish I didn't catch that cold so I could have snuggled Bleu more!