03 September 2008

Apple of My Eye


Buby on Grandpa J's farm, 8.31.08


Today my first celebrates another first. His outfit de jour isn't brand spanking new. It's just a shirt he loves and khaki shorts and comfy sandals. He's sleeping and the outfit is just waiting, neatly folded, on the staircase for 7AM to roll around. For him to rise and begin this momentous day. I suppose we've been prepping subconsciously since Buby could sit upright. Play dates from 6 months, music classes, The Little Gym, swim lessons, and preschool for 2s {where the mommys stay}. We've had our talks about teachers and friends and listening and sharing and sitting and going potty and privacy and strangers and safety. We've checked out "first day" books every week all summer {thank you library!}. We've given him a school-only book bag, filled out emergency contact forms, purchased 3 jumbo-size glue sticks and other miscellany on the teacher's list, labeled his spare outfit, and signed up for PTO. Right now I'm a bundle of contradiction. Happy. Excited. Sad. Nervous. Nostalgic. So so proud. Our Buby is a confident little person. He's smart, determined, sensitive, exuberant, empathetic, and sweet. I wish I was everything he is. Buby's school boasts a progressive private education with a whole-child approach. It's learning by doing. The acquisition of life skills with a heavy focus on community, communication, service and respect. Extra enrichment comes early in the form of literature, Spanish, art, cooking, and music classes built into the M/W/F morning routine. But mostly, it's just fun and creative. A happy place. We're hoping. I'm off to bed so I can get up in 6 hours to make Buby a special School Boy Breakfast. Blueberry pancakes with a whipped cream smiley face. Photos tomorrow.

3 comments:

Maria Jordan MacKeigan said...

Oh my gosh, I can't imagine the FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL for Nena...my heart just gets sad knowing that I won't spend the WHOLE ENTIRE DAY WITH HER, you know what I mean? You are one brave mama! Good luck to Buby on his first day of school!!! can't wait to hear all about his big day!

Jen said...

Way to go, Buby!!! We all hope your day was magnificent! What a big boy!

(As I put the kids to bed last night, I was thinking about each of their first day at school. I can't believe how big everyone is getting!)

{{Hugs}}

Lilypad Mom said...

I hope he had a wonderful first day, and that you survived without too many tears.