11 August 2008

Scatter Rugs




I discovered the pure play potential of these floor coverings in mini form during our whirlwind preschool search last spring. Buby + I spent many an afternoon at area Montessori schools, and one thing they all had in common was how they used scatter rugs to break up a space and give each child their own. Buby responded to this. So when I designed the kids' playroom I picked up some for myself. I wanted bright and fun and low commitment, so I shopped Ikea. The Barnslig Rund rugs {above} were only $12.99 each; Barnslig Rand {lower left} $19.99; plain green + white wide stripes just $2.99 each. That's right, $2.99. And they are soft! Bleu even uses them for tummy time, and everyone knows that's her safe zone from toys and raucous. Buby + I move them around, roll them up, hop and dance with abandon. We throw tea parties and parades and play "rescue me" games {the carpet is water; the rugs land} and "pancake pull" {where we take turns wrapping each other and giving rides}. There's always music on, we're usually sweating, and Bleu gets a kick out of it all.



2 comments:

Triple the Love said...

Smart, fun, colorful, perfect!!

Alana Goldstein said...

I noticed this at the Montessori's we toured. It is such a great idea to give each child his or her own space to concentrate. We have two at home that BP whips out to do puzzles and such. Hopefully it preapres them for school in a couple of weeks.
i love the ikea green and blue ones you chose. Perfect for Bubyland!