31 July 2008

my 5: ESSENTIAL BABY GEAR


01. BOPPY BARE NAKED PILLOW IN LUXE GREEN VELVET


The simple invention of a mom. In those early weeks of nursing {the first time} I'm convinced Boppy made all the difference. Feedings became a comfy cozy time for me and the babes. Its loveliness goes way beyond nursing, bottle feeding, tummy time, or learning to sit. Buby snuggles up to it still and the husband says it's the ideal TV pillow. Ours has been washed a ton and withstood years of tough love. I even borrowed a friend's Boppy when Bleu arrived so we'd have one on each floor. And of all the slipcovers available {cotton, fleece or velvet}, velvet wins hands down. $34.99 here.




02. BABY BJORN BABY CARRIER ORIGINAL


When we're in the car, it's in the car. When we're in the house, it's in the house. Just in case. The Bjorn is our backup plan. When Bleu wants to be soothed + held near and dear just as Buby needs me hands-free I throw it on... et voila, I am multitasking diva. It's cool for crowded festivals, parades, pumpkin picking, and other outings where our stroller just doesn't cut it on the rocky terrain. I bought and returned more than one of those groovy new sling things after Bleu arrived. None impressed me. She was either too big, her neck wasn't properly supported, or the material had no give and fit like a straitjacket over my shirt. And instead of spending a bundle on a small, medium or large sling for one parent, the Bjorn adjusts so My Sweets and I can take turns. Tips: 1) Don't wait until baby is no longer a newby. They may resist being snug-as-a-bug by then. 2) Watch what you eat... that gooey marshmallow s'more will fall in baby's hair if you're not careful. 3) Don't bend at the knee, ever. 4) Carry a large brimmed hat on sunny days and watch for overheating on hot days. $60 here.




03. 900 MHZ HOME LINK MONITOR SYSTEM BY SAFETY 1ST


It's the only one I've found that has 3 baby units and 1 parent unit. It's awesome with 2 kids, especially since we live on 3 floors and can't hear a thing with the air units running. We've tested and immediately returned several audio and video monitors over the past 3 years for bad reception, interference, white noise and awful picture quality. This is the first one we like. I placed a baby unit in every room my kids might sleep in or be in by themselves for even a minute. That's Bleu's room, Buby's room and the playroom. The parent unit has a range up to 1,000 feet and clips to my waste band. It stays off the charger all day long and has never failed me. When Buby + Bleu are both sleeping on the 3rd floor, I can be on the 1st with total peace of mind. The monitor will scan one or all three locations continuously. I simply pug it in at bedtime like I do my cell. People also use it for home security. It's not sold at the usual suspects. $88.99 here.



04. THE FIRST YEARS INFANT TO TODDLER RECLINING SEAT


Oh my. Why would anyone ever use a highchair again? We discovered this little number sometime between Buby + Bleu and it has been a huge asset. My sister-in-law has twins and swears by it, too. Unlike a conventional highchair, you can use it on day 1. It saves space, invites baby to to the table with the rest of the family, and provides a safe, comfy place to set the baby down off the floor and away from toddlers with foam swords and dogs who shed and scratch. Plus, I like to keep Bleu upright after eating so she doesn't spit up as much, and the 4-position recline allows the perfect angle if I need to set her down to cut my steak or go for seconds. The cover is easy to remove and wash and it comes with a tray for later on. $29.99 here.



05. DA VINCI CONTOUR CHANGING PAD


I've always thought changing tables were a waste of money and space and just risky. {I can't tell you how many stories I've heard of babies toppling off tables.} But I've also been privy to pee fountains and projectile poop on nice white carpet and pretty 600 thread count. So I keep one of these and a little diaper basket in every room we change the baby in {nursery, playroom, living room}. When it's "D" time, I just toss it on the floor and do my thing. So safe and easy. $36.99 here.

1 comment:

Maria Jordan MacKeigan said...

That's funny...I love that you did this section, I think you did a great job writing down what is super important for a mom and child! The Boppy is such a great invention...as I became a mom, I have wanted to invent so many things that would make life so much easier. Love ya!