23 July 2008

"But I Miss Him"





My Sweets returned to work Monday after 12 sweet weeks at home. His company has a truly inspiring paternity leave for new dads and he took them up on it after Bleu was born. It was his decision, and I know it was not an easy one. But having him here was everything. Everything. Our daughter was born, which totally rocked our world... in a cool way. Going from 1 to 2 when no. 1 IS just 2 was exhausting. Our son went through an enormous transition. And to have my BFF here with me while I recovered, learned to nurse again, potty trained Buby, etc. was just amazing. Tom is the best kind of husband and father. He loves at 100% all the time. He doesn't do anything halfway, including this time that he was away from his job {which he really enjoys} to create an even stronger bond with his babes. With his regular commute he leaves for work before Buby wakes in the a.m. and returns after he's already down for the night ~ or close. So each and every night that Tom was here for dinner was a treat. And not just because he cooked it! Every day was Saturday in Buby Land. For 12 sweet weeks. Thank you My Sweets.

My conversation with Buby on Monday morning:
Buby: Wait. You didn't make a smoothie for Daddy, too.
Hey, where is Daddy?
Me: Remember Buby... Daddy had to go back to work today.
Buby: Did he wear a suit?
Me: Yes he did. And a tie.
Buby: Did he park his Jeep at the train?
Me: That's right. We can go visit the Jeep later if you want.
Buby: {after silence + a frown}... But I miss him.
Me: Me too, Buby, me too. And Daddy misses YOU.

4 comments:

Alana Goldstein said...

I am sure he misses you guys too! So lucky that you had that time with him. I know a lot of other jealous Daddies that would love that opportunity!

Grandma DJ said...

your daddy is the best buby!! i am very proud of the man he has chosen to be!! how wonderful for you all that he was able to take the leave to be there with you all!! love you forever

Anonymous said...

It's Daddy.

I always knew that I loved my family and I had an idea of what it would be like to spend more time with them, but I had no idea just how much I loved them and being with them, until I had to leave again. This was simply the best three months of my life. My family is amazing, starting with my wife. She is the core of our family, always holding it together making sure we grow as a family. I know all children are perfect, but you always like to think your own are a little more perfect, and there are, primarily because of moms. Moms who have so much love for their children can only have children that share the same passion. And that's Buby. Everything is so real and full and exciting with Buby. He understands love better than anyone I have ever met, and that's because he absorbed it from his mom. Buby knows when to hug you when you need it most, he tells you when he's proud of you, and you feel proud, he is serious when he wants to learn, and he kisses you with the most heart-felt "I love you!"

I can already see the same intensity of love in Bleu's eyes, and if she shares half the love of her mom and brother, which I know she will surpass, I can only be considered the richest man in the word.

Thank you for the best life. I love you all.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Wow-you are a very lucky family.