24 January 2008

Baby Face


Tuckered out after a playdate at Gilly's, 1.24.08

I catch little glimpses of it everyday. His Babyness. When he sleeps so sound or suffers a boo boo, it's my teeny tiny baby I see. When he yells "Mommy, Help Me!" and curls that bottom lip, the world stops for as long as he needs. I cannot be any more IN love. I feel constantly blessed to be able to watch this kid of ours grow up. It's a daily evolution. Lately, it's happening too fast. He's less baby boy and more big kid than I ever imagined at 2. Here are some undeniable signs that Buby is not so itty bitty anymore...
  • He grabs his own hat and gloves on the way out of the house
  • He's up to 4 or 5 stickers a day for going potty on the toilet
  • He likes to pick out his own clothes in the morning
  • He says "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me" and "bless you"
  • He tells US stories at bedtime, and we understand every word
  • He holds us to everything we say and do, even months later
  • He recites "Our Father" by heart
  • He has a sophisticated sense of humor and gets sarcasm
  • He remembers to feed the fish 3xs a day
  • He watches football with his dad and shouts "GO BUFFALO!"
  • He showers and does a thorough job cleaning himself
  • He builds great towers and doesn't want to knock them down
  • He brushes his own teeth with a power brush 2-3xs a day
  • He decides before he creates artwork who it is for
  • He has real conversations with Grandpa J. on the phone
  • He reminds us to floss his teeth before bed
  • He corrects me if I skip a part in any of his books
  • He loves to learn and be quizzed on what he knows
  • He opens the fridge by himself {and I quickly close it}
  • He sits at the grownup table... no highchair or booster
  • He has adventurous taste buds. He'll try anything
  • He checks himself out in the mirror
  • He uses chopsticks whenever his dad does
  • He blows his own nose and throws it in the garbage
  • He puts his plate in the sink after dinner
  • He announces every toot and burp with great pride
  • He orders for himself in restaurants
  • He pulls up his stool to help me cook
  • He kisses MY boo boos and says "ALL BETTER"
  • He plays well independently + with others
  • He (usually) hands toys over if he senses another kid wants it more
  • He feels a lot of empathy when his friends cry or get hurt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right - he's changing very quickly now. What a wonderful big brother he's going to be and a lot of help too. I can't believe how quickly he's grown up. I love that he gets sarcasm.

See you soon.
Mom

Maria Jordan MacKeigan said...

ah, sweet boy! Wish we could get together someday! hugs!

allison said...

He really is growing up. I'm very impressed with a few on his list...keep up the good work, Mama! You're doing so well.

Triple the Love said...

Sweet slumber... it's crazy how fast they grow up!

Lilypad Mom said...

Such a sweet photo. I was looking at pictures from the first playdate the other day, I can't believe how much he's grown up since then.